This statistical first release (SFR) includes information on:
- children in need of social services
- children referred to social services
- assessments undertaken and primary need at first assessment
- section 47 enquiries (a local authority carries out one of these if they suspect a child is suffering, or likely to suffer, significant harm) and initial child protection conferences
- children who were the subject of a child protection plan
It is based on child-level data collected via the children in need census.
The outcomes tables show figures that result from matching the children in need census to the national pupil database (NPD). These tables show children in need by:
- free school meals (FSM)
- special educational needs (SEN)
The outcomes methodology document explains the matching process and calculations used in these tables.